Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Adventures in Film Making, Part One - The Dull Years.


here's a picture of hywel bennett in
One for the Road -
great bloke!


Well, hello!

welcome to my first blog kind of thing - I have no (or very little) idea what I am doing or what I am playing at... so bear with me as this blog will either get a lot worse or marginally better (I would guess worse, to be honest)...

... why the title - well, I remember my good friend and fellow filmmaker, Steve, remarking that my first feature (possibly my only feature film) was depressing but reflected my world view - and to be honest that's probably true - I am a depressing bastard!


It's Rupert Procter & Greg Chisholm in
One for the Road - Look at it a bit!


My films (shorts to miserable feature) have reflected my own struggle to like the characters i write about and this is a problem that my very funders have - "oh it's quite funny and everything, but does the lead have to be such a bastard? Couldn't we sympathise a little more, make him better looking and more charming?"

what would be the fucking point of that!?

The characters are at odds with themselves, their dilemma is that they haven't the faintest ideas who they are or what would be the right thing to do... my films are as much about watching them fuck their lives up as they are about enjoying watching them fuck their lives up.

comedy for me is about watching a man fall flat on his face, pick himself up, dust himself down, straighten up and walk into the path of a runaway lorry.

and that's the theme of this blog!


here you'll have the pleasure of reading these mispelt postings as you follow my road to future failure (or success - who knows - but I'm betting on it not working out too well), watch my disastrous rise to the bottom, more failure, disaster and a little more failure....

... should be painful - i'll try to make it entertaining!

se ya soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home